The Woodturner

Mooirivier, the town where we stayed during our long weekend, is on the one end of the Midlands Meander, an arts & craft route that extends over a distance of about 80kms down to Pietermaritzburg. All along the scenic route, different potters, weavers and artists display their crafts in small shops and studios.

We only spent one and a half days meandering, so we did not see all that the area has to offer, but if I can choose a favourite from what I’ve seen, I have to say that the beautiful wood articles from the Woodturner are my favourite!

Andrew Early and his dad, John, are responsible for the beautiful grained bowls, but also many other obects. I read that each bowl is turned from wet wood, left to dry for up to four years, then re-turned, sanded and waxed or oiled. I also read that Donna Karan owns some of his bowls and you can see why when you wonder into their beautiful shop in the Dargle Valley. The bowls, and his other furniture and objet d’art, are breathtakingly beautiful.








 You can visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment