More Babylonstoren, part 1

Babylonstoren is my favourite wine estate in the Cape. Having said that, calling it a wine estate is actually not doing it justice because this farm is about so much more than its vines. It has the most incredible formal fruit and vegetable garden, quite unlike any other that I’ve ever seen, and probably unique in the winelands. Every single plant is edible and you can sample the produce, as it comes into season, in their restaurant Babel or in the Green House, an open air tea garden under big oak trees. 

I’ve blogged about the farm before (see here and here) and even then, I had to do it in two posts since the images are so beautiful and overwhelming. After visiting the farm again this past weekend to show my husband this incredible place, I will again have to split this blog into two. Today I want to show you a bit of the garden and the Green House. Tomorrow I will show you bits of their new farm shop that moved to a new building since my previous visit.

Daniel’s joy while exploring the gardens was wonderful to watch. Every corner was part of a maze in his mind and he refused to believe that the pumpkins were real!











The Green House, with its colourful Luxembourg chairs, Delft inspired tableware and fresh foods straight from the garden, is delightful. I think this place is so special to me because it puts on display what life could be like, as opposed to what we often accept it must be like. I could easily spend a day under the oak trees, sipping on their colourful infused juices and just letting the privilege of being on this spot on earth for a while soak in.













You can visit their website here or like their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment