Converse loves Marimekko

I have now been in retail for almost 9 years. Before that, I was a corporate girl. What I miss sometimes is the work clothes – beautiful suits, high heels, flattering pencil skirts and crisp white shirts. Being on my feet in the shop and doing the soccer-mum routine, I can tell you that high heels are now reserved for weddings only but I can hold my own with an impressive collection of sneakers.

I grabbed my camera the moment I unpacked my new pair at home. They are from Converse, made in collaboration with textile icon Marimekko, a Finnish company based in Helsinki. It was founded in 1951 when the owner asked some artist friends to apply their graphic designs to textiles. In order to show how the fabric could be used, the company then designed and sold a line of simple dresses using their fabric. Not only did it become an early recognition of fashion as an industrial art, but the company became a household name around the world for their designs used in fashion and home furnishings. I just love the bright and whimsical Finnish prints adorning the canvas of the iconic Converse. 




The video below tells the story of this collaboration (if you read the email and does not see the embedded video, click here). To read more about Marimekko, see their website


Image credits: Photos by me, video by Converse

No comments:

Post a Comment