When in Provence ..... Gordes

OK, I know I must move on at some stage. I cannot keep on blogging about Provence forever .... hmmm, actually I CAN. This could become a travel blog and then I can bore you to death with pictures from Provence and other beautiful places. I still have a few up my sleeve. Chateneuf-du-Pape, St-Remy-de-Provence, Arles..... Anyway, time to move on. I'll start a little series later with more, but for now, one last post before we say au revoir Provence.

I have saved the best for last. Probably the most breathtaking moment of the holiday was approaching Gordes from the southern side with our rental. All of a sudden, to our right, high above the Luberon plains, houses and buildings of white and grey stone root themselves into the sharp cliff of the mountain. And as if the view of the town is not enough, the view FROM the village is spectacular. A panorama across fields and forests and other small perched villages awaits you. You can stroll for hours in the tiny cobbled streets, shop at the charming small stores selling regional products and decorations. I even saw my husband taking a good look at the window of the agence immobilière. 
 













Just outside Gordes is the incredibly picturesque Senanque Abbey with its famed lavender field. We were a bit early in the season (in Provence the lavender is in full bloom from late June to August), but the complex is stunning. Basically, what I am trying to say is, if you have only time for one town in the Luberon on your itinerary, Gordes will not disappoint.





PS. In case you are happy to hear the last of my globetrots, if I say time to move on, I mean, time to move on to Paris for the second part of my holiday :-) À demain!

Image credits: All photography by me

No comments:

Post a Comment