When in Tsitsikamma ..... walk to the Storms River suspension bridge

My family holidayed in the Tsitsikamma National Park when I turned 5 years old. I still remember the birthday vividly – I received a doll as tall as myself (a “loop pop”) and a beautiful ballet book featuring Margot Fontein and Rudolf Nureyev (what happened to that childhood dream!? :-). This particular birthday is also remembered for the fact that my parents got very tipsy during the champagne birthday breakfast!! And apparently, so did I!

I’ve been back to the Park a couple of times since then (always sober, I promise!), but visiting it during this holiday reminded me again how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful country. This park is the 3rd most visited national park in South Africa and one can understand why. Almost 40% of the slopes and valleys are covered in colourful fynbos. The dramatic coastline of over 80km is just spectacular. Add to that the long list of outdoor activities on offer, and you have yourself the holiday of a lifetime.

We took the kids on a hike to the famous Storms River suspension bridge that spans the river mouth (read about the first part of our day here). We saw dassies on the cliffs and whales in the water. But most of all we just stood awestruck by the beauty around us – the way the path curved to reveal a stream making a waterfall directly into the sea. Or the way in which the jungle clings to the sheer cliffs. The beach of perfectly rounded ‘pebbles’ the size of rugby balls next to the suspension bridge. Or the way in which the Storms River gorge goes narrower in the distance giving the impression of some vast cathedral. In addition to a million other little impressions too many to name here. Suffice to say – God must have been in a very good mood when He made this place…










Image credits: All photography by me

No comments:

Post a Comment