Bobbi Brown making me pretty

Still on yesterday’s subject of paint (and the on-going battle to cover the cracks!!), I went for a make-up session at a Bobbi Brown studio :-). The one I visited was in the Sandton City Edgars, but I see on their website that they now have five counters at different stores in Johannesburg. Their make-up artist, Gerard, was in town and he took on the task of teaching me how to make my eyes look beautiful.

I am not very good at doing my own make-up. I normally phone my friend Karlien who has the same complexion as me and who is a real girly-girl to ask what make-up I must buy. So, to go for a lesson was long overdue and amazing fun! Gerard started the lesson by first completing a personalised face chart that I took home. He then showed me how to use the foundation and concealer properly and how to fill in my eyebrows. Some bronzer, blush, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow and a shiny lip-gloss later, and I was amazed at Gerard’s skill and the pretty face in the mirror.

Bobbi Brown’s career is one of those amazing entrepreneurial stories. She worked as a freelance makeup artist for ten years, earning coveted gigs with magazines like American Vogue. She began developing a lipstick and in 1991, her 10 lipsticks debuted at Bergdorf Goodman. Apparently she expected to sell 100 in a month, but she sold 100 within the first day!! After that success she expanded her collection, including revolutionising the face makeup market by creating yellow-based foundations. Just four years after the company was started, the cosmetics empire Estee Lauder bought the company with Bobbi herself retaining the creative control of her brand. 





I should have taken “before-and-after” photos, but take my word for it – I looked G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!!!

Visit their Facebook page or website for more information.

Image credits: All photography by me

No comments:

Post a Comment